How Do I Securely Wipe My Iphone?
Thinking / Planning on selling your Iphone? but don’t want the next owner to be able to read your contacts or view your private pictures? Then you need to Securely Wipe the Iphone before you sell it.
It is actually quite simple if you follow the below instructions. – Beware once you have wiped the Iphone all your data will be lost.
Connect your Iphone to Itunes and do a Restore to new.
- Connect your phone via usb to you Laptop or Computer.
- In itunes select your Iphone, Ipad or other ios device.
- Select the Summer Tab and click the Restore Button.
- Click Restore.
- After the restore has finished, you will see “slide to setup” – follow the steps as given.
For more information check out http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414
Method 2: (This is the more secure option)
Complete a “Erase All Content and Settings” via the menu.
This will take a while to complete (2-3 Hours).
- Plug in your Iphone, Ipad or other ios device.
- Open the Settings App.
- Goto General
- Select Reset
- Press Erase All Content and Settings.
- Follow the Instructions.
How IOS wipes your device.
- Hardware encryption – Erases all user settings and information by removing the encryption key that protects your data, this should only take a few minutes.
- Overwrite Memory – Overwrites user settings and information, it writes a series of 1′s to the devices data section. This can take several hours, during this process you will see the apple logo and a progress bar.
All devices running ios 5 or later use hardware encryption.
If you reset your Iphone or Ipad o turn off the device before it has finished you will see the Connect to Itunes screen when you connect to power again, if this happens to you and you want to complete the wipe you will need to restore the device and run the “Erase All Content and Settings” again.
- Plug the Iphone or Ipad to your PC/Laptop
- Restore the device using Itunes (see above)
- rerun “Erase All Content and Settings”
For more information check our http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2110
If you have problems following these Iphone instructions or would like any other IT support please visit our IT Support page or contact us.
Written by Jon Pack+